Attend Creamer Media's next webinar on February 28 at 14.00 when a panel of experts unpack Mining Sustainability & Security in the South African mining industry.
While there are South African mining industry members which are committed to ensure a lasting legacy in the communities in which they operate, a significant challenge is presented by the persistence of illegal miners.
The country has 6 100 derelict and ownerless mines, said Defence and Military Veterans Minister Thandi Modise at a briefing by the justice, crime prevention and security cluster late last year.
Illegal mining has been linked to organised crimes, with illegal miners increasingly holding communities to ransom, committing violent crimes and damaging infrastructure.
Creamer Media's panel, facilitated by PwC's Andries Rossouw, includes DRD Gold CEO Niël Pretorius, Digby Wells Environmental CEO Graham Trusler and Brigadier Hennie Flynn, the provincial commander of Serious Organised Crime Investigation of the South African Police Service.
These experts will focus on questions such as:
• Is South Africa’s mining industry creating a sustainable legacy?
• How are old mines being repurposed to uplift communities?
• What strategies are mining companies employing in their mine rehabilitation and closure plans?
• Who is legally responsible for the rehabilitation of South Africa’s mines?
• What environmental and security risks are associated with abandoned mines?
• What security strategies are being adopted to prevent criminals from attacking mining operations and taking over abandoned mines?
Click here to register.